Update: I decided to restore this post and just take my medicine. Have at me.
I am sure I’m going to regret this but I was asked again today by a very well-meaning friend why I don’t attend a church of my choice.
I have some questions that I’d like answered and some statements.
1. My understanding is that the professional priesthood/ministry/pastor/teacher job ended when the veil split in the sanctuary (Matthew 27:50,51) forever ending the separation of God from His people. Is this not true? Did not Paul himself continue his trade while establishing local churches and exhort Timothy to do the same? I have a major problem with multi-millionaire preachers or even those who live better than the most humble of their flock. I believe the closer New Testament example would be to keep your day job and practice your spiritual gift of preaching, teaching, prophecy whatever.
2. Show me in scripture where tithing is called for in the New Covenant. It’s not there. If you’re going to live by the law then live by all of the law. Shellfish anyone?
3. What are these ostentatious and overblown buildings for? My understanding is that the old temple in Jerusalem was destroyed and will not be rebuilt until Christ returns and the only other temple is our bodies.
4. I recognize the need to have communion with other believers. In Acts these meetings took place in homes. If too many people start showing up start another group.
Churches and Christian groups do a lot of good in the world. Don’t get me wrong.
I don’t tell anyone not to go and tithe and be on building committees and on and on. If you want to meet and pay some person a salary to talk to you then by all means do so. It’s none of my business.
I also have never been able to get one Christian “professional” to answer any of these questions without a lot of spiritualizing and obfuscation.
I’m not proselytizing anyone.
All of this actually kind of pushes me to the Catholic Church because if you’re going to buy into it you may as well buy into the original brand.
If you want to talk or convince me then please do. If you want to be mad please don’t.
It is not my intention to offend anyone or belittle anyone’s beliefs.
The opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions or views of management.
Although I disagree with Mr. Hitchens basic premises I find him to be articulate, witty and charming.
I recently read an article that was written by his brother Peter, a former atheist, concerning his own conversion and his relationship with his brother.
See that article here.
Today, not for the first time, I was cut off in traffic and rudely signaled by a person with the “Christian” symbol on their car.
I was not going slow. I was actually above the speed limit but apparently not fast enough, in the right lane, for this soldier of Christ.
Ladies and Gentlemen. If you are going to put a piece of plastic on your car to make some kind of statement about your supposed spirituality then please be mindful that you are anonymous and it is not your good name that is being slandered by your behavior.
Lose the plastic. Your life of Christ-likeness will be a much bigger testimony than the piece of signage on your car.
I really think folks do it just to proclaim whose side they are 0n in the culture wars.
By the way, I find the Darwin fish-eating symbols to be even more offensive and idiotic. What is your point? that you are smarter or some other conceit? that symbol has only one purpose. To offend and belittle.
Back to Christians.
Either be perfect or take the fish off the car. At the least try to obey traffic laws and common decency.
I have had friends ask me why I don’t like contemporary Christian music.
1. I am an old curmudgeon.
2. Most of it is not very good.
3. Much of it is just an attempt to copy other popular music.
4. The big, real reason – WHO IS THE CENTER OF ATTENTION? WHO IS THE FOCUS OF THE PERFORMANCE?
How many times have you heard a performance in a church and the histrionics of the performer are what is the main thing in view?
Hey, if you want to be Beyonce’ or Britney Spears or David Cook then by all means go for it.
Just don’t do it where I’m trying to worship.
I have friends and relatives, one in particular, that play and in Praise and Worship bands. I have no doubt at all about this friend’s sincerity and heart for the Lord.
The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the Old One. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice.
A lot to digest and think about.
One of the comments said the following,”…However, I would argue that to the extent that the decline reflects reality, the decline has already happened. You say you see a future of Moralistic-Therapeutic-Deism, but that is exactly where the American church is now.”
I couldn’t agree more.
I wanted to be on board with the new president but infanticide is more than I can stomach.
I thought about showing graphic baby murders but my sense of decency won out which is more than I can say for the murdering abortionists.
The kicker is that its not even ideological for them. It’s all about the money.
The Vatican reacts here.